Gunmen in the early hours of Monday set the correctional facility in Owerri, the Imo State capital, on fire.
SaharaReporters gathered that the gunmen struck the prison and freed an unconfirmed number of inmates and suspects. Heavy gunfire also rang through the area.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
- Monies meant for schools, roads, hospitals are shares for delegates, Sowore
- Davido cries out after show promoter duped him in Italy
- Reactions as Real Madrid beat Liverpool to win UEFA Champions League title
- Mercy Johnson’s husband, Prince Okojie wins APC House of Rep ticket
- BREAKING: Atiku emerges PDP presidential flag bearer
Amnesty International said over the weekend that Owerri Correctional Centre had 2,156 inmates against its installed capacity of 548 people.
Pictures shared on the micro-blogging site Twitter showed heavy smokes and fire.
Something involving significant firearms is happening in Owerri, Imo State right now…. It's somewhere between govt House, Rockview & Prisons….??? pic.twitter.com/9FS2PCA1oy— Chidi Odinkalu (@ChidiOdinkalu) April 5, 2021