Gunmen in the early hours of Monday set the correctional facility in Owerri, the Imo State capital, on fire.
SaharaReporters gathered that the gunmen struck the prison and freed an unconfirmed number of inmates and suspects. Heavy gunfire also rang through the area.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
- US: Gov. Dapo Abiodun ‘aide’, Abidemi Rufai sentences to five years in prison for $350,000 fraud
- People misunderstand my personality, Burna Boy
- Nigerian reacts as Policemen look on as ‘Agberos’ clash at Iyana-Iba, Lagos (videos)
- Japan holds state funeral for Shinzo Abe amid protests
- Bandits are animals; Matawalle says as he justifies death penalty
Amnesty International said over the weekend that Owerri Correctional Centre had 2,156 inmates against its installed capacity of 548 people.
Pictures shared on the micro-blogging site Twitter showed heavy smokes and fire.
Something involving significant firearms is happening in Owerri, Imo State right now…. It's somewhere between govt House, Rockview & Prisons….??? pic.twitter.com/9FS2PCA1oy— Chidi Odinkalu (@ChidiOdinkalu) April 5, 2021