Ifiezibe Gagbe, Bayelsa swimmer has won six gold medals in swimming and is aiming for four more at the National Sports Festival in Benin.
Gagbe won the 800m freestyle women event on Friday, with a time of 10:41.01 seconds.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
- U-20WC: Flying Eagles hope to soar over long time foes, Argentina, Dream team falls to Netherlands
- Police launch manhunt for fleeing suspect who allegedly raped 12-year-old girl in Ondo
- Abductors of Abuja residents hold back relative sent to deliver N6m ransom; demand an extra N2M from the family for ‘delaying payment’
- Court sentences Hilton Hotel owner Dr Adedoyin to death over OAU student., Adegoke’s murder
- President Tinubu directs DSS to immediately vacate EFCC office
At the end of the race, a very excited Gagbe said she was hopeful of four more gold medals.
“I feel so excited. I have more than four events to participate in and I hope that they will all be gold.
“The last festival in Abuja 2018, I won 14 silver medals, no gold.
“This was because I was not fit enough having delivered my baby. Now I am going to make a statement,” she said.
The athlete appealed for Bayelsa Government’s support for athletes, saying “I want the Bayelsa Government to encourage the athletes.
“Government should encourage them with financial remuneration because sometimes we feel that after these competitions, nothing is offered to the athletes thereafter, ” Gagbe said.