The rivalry between Edo and Delta states continued on Saturday in the cycling event with hosts, Edo overtaking Delta on the medals table.
Winning two gold medals won in the 3,000 Team Pursuit for women and 4,000 Team Pursuit for men, Edo now has 5 gold medals, one more than Delta who has won four, all through their golden girl Ese Ukpeseraye.
Bayelsa came third on the medals table with three gold medals.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
- US: Gov. Dapo Abiodun ‘aide’, Abidemi Rufai sentences to five years in prison for $350,000 fraud
- People misunderstand my personality, Burna Boy
- Nigerian reacts as Policemen look on as ‘Agberos’ clash at Iyana-Iba, Lagos (videos)
- Japan holds state funeral for Shinzo Abe amid protests
- Bandits are animals; Matawalle says as he justifies death penalty
In Saturday’s race, Edo women’s team finished the 3,000 Team Pursuit in a time of 4 minutes, 25.57 seconds. Their rival, Delta finished second in a time of 4 minutes, 28.38 seconds while Oyo got the bronze with a time 4 minutes, 32.32 seconds.
Edo men’s team clocked 5 minutes, 15.44 seconds to clinch gold. Delta got the silver with a time of 5 minutes, 16.68 seconds while Ogun placed third to win the bronze with a time of 5 minutes 18.30 seconds.
On Sunday, the men will contest for the 160 kilometres road race on the Benin – Ifon road.
Cycling events at the 20th National Sports Festival will be concluded next week Monday with the men and women elimination races.