Abia State Government has shut the Union Primary School, Afaraukwu located in the Umuahia North Local Government Area of the state as “suspected explosive devices” were discovered in the school.
The State Commissioner for Information, John Kalu, said in a statement on Thursday.
The statement read, “Abia State Government is currently working with relevant security agencies in the state to unravel the source and nature of the suspected explosive devices found at Union Primary School, Afaraukwu in Umuahia North LGA.
“While initial examination of the devices show evidence of corrosion leading to suspicion of the materials being relics of the civil war era, we are awaiting definite official report from the EOD squad of the Nigeria Police who are currently investigating the incident.
“Meanwhile, necessary measures have been taken to protect the pupils and staff of the school with security sweeps ongoing while the school is temporarily closed.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
- U-20WC: Flying Eagles hope to soar over long time foes, Argentina, Dream team falls to Netherlands
- Police launch manhunt for fleeing suspect who allegedly raped 12-year-old girl in Ondo
- Abductors of Abuja residents hold back relative sent to deliver N6m ransom; demand an extra N2M from the family for ‘delaying payment’
- Court sentences Hilton Hotel owner Dr Adedoyin to death over OAU student., Adegoke’s murder
- President Tinubu directs DSS to immediately vacate EFCC office
“Governor Okezie Ikpeazu has directed security agencies to embark on proactive checks in other vulnerable locations out of abundance of caution.
“While we are grateful to God that there is no harm to life or property, we urge citizens and residents to continue to maintain vigilance and report suspicious situations to security agents.”
The PUNCH had earlier reported that the Abia State governor this week imposed a curfew on Aba, Umuahia and other communities in the state following the attacks by gunmen on the Imo State Police Command headquarters and the Owerri Correctional Prison on Monday.
Abia is bordered by Imo to the West.